Join the team at Piper Shores! We are Maine’s first and only nonprofit Continuing Care Retirement Community and we are looking for looking for compassionate, dedicated, and hard-working people like you to join a group of professional helping to enhance the well-being of our residents. The Sous Chef is responsible for the proper preparation of the planned menu in the absence of the Executive Chef and assists in the supervision of all kitchen employees. This is a full-time position and candidates will need to be flexible and able to work days, evenings, weekends and holidays. Piper Shores offers generous benefits package to full-time employees including 18 paid days off per year!
Sous Chef Job Duties
- Clarifies and organizes all evening paperwork and posts next day’s production schedule.
- Assists the kitchen staff in all aspects of daily assignments, as required.
- Informs the Executive Chef of all activities and operational problems, making suggestions for improvement and corrections as needed
- Assists in daily shift change walk-throughs of kitchen staff.
- Ensures that each plate leaving the kitchen meets high presentation standards, is a quality product and is properly portioned.
- Responsible for the direction of the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef
- Assists in creating, planning, costing and executing menus, theme buffets, specials and holiday menus
- Assists with food orders, production sheets and related material.
- Assists the chef in executing all catered and special functions.
- Assists in monthly inventory of all food, chemical, and paper products.
- Performs cooking and utility shifts and tasks as needed to insure the smooth and efficient operation of food services.
- Performs pre-meal menu meetings for dining staff.
- Assists in maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction for our residents and their guests.
- Maintains appearance, cleanliness and service of facility at or above Health Department standards through routine, daily cleaning procedures.
- Assists in maintaining daily, weekly and monthly statistical information as required
- Uses time, material and equipment properly to eliminate waste and unnecessary expense.
- Maintains good working relations with employees; illustrates leadership to promote unity of effort, group pride, harmony and teamwork.
- Attends in-service training and education sessions as assigned.
- Performs specific work duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Monitors and maintains highest level of sanitation.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Ability to understand and follow instructions in English and communicate effectively, and perform simple arithmetic. Ability to understand measurements and conversions.
- Three years minimum experience in a hotel, restaurant, or club with fine dining preferred.
- Culinary education and supervisory background desirable.
- Ability to plan and organize work, to interpret instructions, recipes, specifications and standards.
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment operations and maintenance. Some knowledge of nutrition and diet. Health Care experience desirable.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions
Moderate to heavy physical effort. Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs independently. May be exposed to very high and low temperatures from ovens, freezers, and refrigerators. Must be able to walk and stand up to 85% of the day. Must be able to stoop, reach, and bend frequently. May be exposed to cleaning chemicals and offensive odors; may need to operate the following equipment with or without reasonable accommodation: Robot Coupe, Tilt Skillet, Convection Oven, Soup Kettle, Heavy Duty Floor Mixer, Microwave Oven, Salamander Broiler, Steamer, and various carving and kitchen knives. Will be exposed to pets, pet dander, flowers, and plants in both buildings and throughout campus.
Please click here to submit your resume on Indeed or fill out the fields below and your information will be reviewed for the position.