Located in Scarborough, Maine, Piper Shores is Maine’s premier continuing care retirement community, with a 5-star rating from CMS and an outstanding reputation for quality of services and facilities. We are seeking a Facilities Director to serve as a strategic planning member of the Senior Leadership Team and to oversee the care and maintenance of all aspects of the physical plant, grounds and Information Technology. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer, and is integral to ensuring that the quality and aesthetic of the campus remains a key attraction for current and potential residents.
Essential Job Duties:
Leadership and Management
- Oversees Facilities Department staff, including Manager, Facilities Technicians, Groundskeepers, Security Officers and IT Manager; selects, trains, evaluates, and performs disciplinary actions as necessary. Direct supervision of Facilities Manager.
- Participates in the planning of the annual departmental operating budget and holds direct responsibility for planning and implementing and an annual $3 million capital improvement plan.
- Member of Senior Leadership Team (SLT). Attends SLT meetings and actively participates as a team member.Serves as staff liaison to Board Building and Grounds Committee.
- Serves as staff liaison to Board Building and Grounds Committee.
Leadership and Management
- Establishes and implements emergency policies and procedures. Monitors infection control guidelines within the department. Plans and initiates staff training in emergency preparedness, life safety, personal protective equipment, OSHA mandated training, and other required training
- Oversight of fire and life safety equipment maintenance, including the emergency power generating equipment.
- Ensures compliance with federal and state laws and regulations and local ordinances
- Develops and maintains an effective security department, including development of security policies and procedures, coordinates investigations, and maintains key control system.
Physical Plant and Grounds
- Ensures proper and appropriate staffing and delegation for building maintenance (450,000 square feet), equipment maintenance, utilities and grounds with a comprehensive, preventative maintenance program; Arranges for maintenance contracts as necessary working with vendors and other external stakeholders and ensures effective staffing within grounds and facilities staff members.
- Assures residents and staff facilities-related needs are met with a timely and effective work order repair system
- Oversees construction projects, working in conjunction with architects, engineers and contractors to assure quality scope, schedule, budget and safety management.
- Develop strategy as it relates to the organization’s IT infrastructure (computer and information systems, security, communication systems)
- Provides overall supervision of IT Manager and IT Consultants.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, energy management, or related field required.
- Minimum of five years of experience in facilities management; facilities management experience in a health care setting preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English, including ability to read blueprints and mechanical drawings, write reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals. Ability to respond to questions from groups of managers, residents, outside contractors, and government officials.
- Previous experience working with Board committees helpful.
- Excellent customer service skills, including desire and ability to work with senior population.
- Knowledge of fire safety, SDS, OSHA regulations, and related life safety areas.
- Working knowledge of integration of facilities systems and controls, i.e., HVAC, chillers, diagnostics, PC-generated facilities temperature controls, etc.
- Strong PC skills with advanced knowledge of MS office suite.
- Demonstrated leader of highest personal and professional integrity who is committed to fulfilling the mission and vision of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to make effective decisions working difficult and complex situations.